Come and Sing Workshop
Settings of O MAGNUM MYSTERIUM
including Palestrina & Lauridsen
Director: Richard Roddis
Organist: Michael Overbury
Saturday 18th January 2020
This is an opportunity to enjoy a wealth of splendid a cappella choral music!
Many composers down the ages have seized on the text O magnum mysterium for all its expressive possibilities, focusing on the mystery of the Incarnation. Here’s your chance to sing five of the best settings in all their glorious sonorities.
Two settings are from the Renaissance period – real treasures of this golden age. By Spaniard, Tomas de Luis Victoria, a beautiful, simple setting in four parts. By contrast, Italian composer, Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina’s setting is in six parts and characteristically flamboyant, particularly the Alleluia.
From the mid-20th century, Francis Poulenc’s setting is typically adventurous but extremely tender and expressive; interestingly, it omits the final Alleluia.
Two settings from the 1990s, one is a firm favourite by American composer, Morten Lauridsen, with its heartfelt vocal sonorities. The other is less well-known, by Basque composer, Javier Busto, is multi-faceted, lyrical and tuneful – a little gem.
Sinfonia Chorale Director
Director Richard Roddis is well known throughout the East Midlands for his work with choirs. His conducting experience stretches back more than a quarter of a century and, as a professional singer and a member of several top choirs, he brings a wealth of experience and enthusiasm to choral conducting. He was appointed Director of the Sinfonia Chorale in June 1991..
Venue for the 2020 Come and Sing event :
Christ Church, Chilwell, 6 College Road, Beeston, Nottingham, NG9 4AS.
The Sinfonia Chorale will be performing the works studied during the workshop in concert on Saturday 14th March 2020 in St Barnabas Cathedral, Nottingham NG1 5AE.
2020 Come & Sing Event
Registration and Booking
- To register your interest in the 2020 Come & Sing Event subscribe to the Come & Sing eNewsletter .
- To book your place, please download the 2020 Booking Form
- The cost for the day is £20 (+£5 for an optional hot lunch)
- Payment can be made by cheque or BACS (details on Booking Form)
- Please return the completed form to Diane Roberts, Sinfonia Chorale Secretary, Birch End, Boat Lane, Hoveringham NG14 7JP
- Booking forms, payments and cancellations must be received by Monday January 6th 2020
- Further information can be obtained from Pam Richings to whom any cancellations should be notified.
- Christ Church, Chilwell.
6, College Road, Beeston, Nottingham, NG9 4AS.
- The venue is conveniently situated between Nottingham and Derby and is very close to a tram stop.
- There is a car park next to the Church and additional on-street parking nearby.
Programme for the day
- 09.30 Registration
- 10.00 Rehearsal starts
- 11.15 Tea / coffee break
- 11.45 Rehearsal continues
- 13.00 Lunch
- An optional hot buffet lunch will be available at a cost of £5. Please indicate on the booking form whether you will require lunch and include your payment when booking.
- 14.00 Rehearsal continues
- 15.30 Tea / coffee break
- 16.00 Performance
- 17.00 Depart
- Music hire is included in the cost for the day.
- Music may be borrowed in advance of the event – details will be in the confirmation letter which will be sent to you on receipt of your application.
Comments from the 2019 Come & Sing & Play workshop:
“I just turned up and had a play! It’s good fun!” Violinist
"Nicolette is an inspirational orchestral leader!
It’s a high light for string players due to the detailed information she gives out!”
"The level of complexity was selected, it’s an intermediate to advanced level.”
"I enjoyed the fact that there was no concert to work towards, so you can just play and relax.”