Come and Sing Workshop
Kodály - Missa Brevis
Director: Richard Roddis
Répétiteur: Michael Overbury
will take place on
Saturday 20th January 2024
Hungarian composer, Zoltán Kodály, was a pioneer in Music Education, using singing as the basic ingredient. So he really is a “singers’ composer”. The Missa Brevis amply demonstrates this: full of accessible melodic invention, a colourful harmonic palette, and brilliant choral writing. Challenging and highly rewarding - it’s a must-sing piece for all self-respecting choristers! Expect also one or two delightful short secular songs from the Master.
Sinfonia Chorale Director
Director Richard Roddis is well known throughout the East Midlands for his work with choirs. His conducting experience stretches back more than a quarter of a century and, as a professional singer and a member of several top choirs, he brings a wealth of experience and enthusiasm to choral conducting. He was appointed Director of the Sinfonia Chorale in June 1991.
Venue for the 2024 Come and Sing event :
St. Michael and All Angels Parish Church, Church Street, Bramcote, Nottingham, NG9 3HD.
The venue is conveniently situated between Nottingham and Derby close to the A52. There is a car park next to the Church and additional on-street parking nearby.
Programme for the day
- 9.30 Registration
- 10.00 - 13.00 Rehearsal with tea/coffee break
- 13.00 Lunch
- 14.00 - 16.30 Rehearsal with tea/coffee break and mini concert
Cost for the day
£25 (without lunch) Includes hire of the music and refreshments during the day.
£30 (including a hot buffet lunch) There will be a choice of dishes, including vegan and gluten-free options.
The lunch break is a great opportunity to socialise with fellow singers.
Music may be borrowed in advance of the event – details will be in the confirmation letter/email which will be sent to you on receipt of your booking application.
- Either ONLINE
- Please complete the ONLINE BOOKING FORM and then submit it. (one application per person)
- You will receive an e-mail acknowledgement within 7 days which will contain BACS payment details for the event.
- The booking is provisional until payment is received.
- Bookings close on Saturday 13th January 2024
- To be eligible for a full refund, any cancellations must be received by Monday 15thJanuary 2024
- or By POST
- Please download the POSTAL BOOKING FORM, print and complete it. (one application per person)
- POST this completed form together with your cheque made payable to Sinfonia Chorale for £25 / (£30 to include lunch) to the name and address shown on the form
- You will receive an acknowledgement within 7 days which will either be sent to you by letter, or to your email address (if provided.)
- The booking is provisional until payment has been cleared.
- Bookings close on Saturday 13th January 2022
- To be eligible for a full refund, any cancellations must be received by Monday 15th January 2022
Please book early to secure your place at the workshop, as space is limited.
Concert European Tour Pt 2 - Saturday 16th March 2024
The Sinfonia Chorale will perform in concert some of the works which are to be studied during this workshop on Saturday 16th March 2024, at St John's Church, Mansfield Road, Carrington, NG5 2DP.
Comments from previous workshops:
“As usual it was a very enjoyable occasion, the more so as we managed some quite challenging music under Richard's usual masterly direction. I sing in three choirs in Norwich with pretty good conductors but I'd forgotten just how good Richard is at this job.
"Please will you pass on to your splendid team my thanks for a most enjoyable day yesterday. I always enjoy your "Come and Sing" days, so well organised and friendly. I guess the music had something to do with it too so praise to those who chose the programme ....well done
"Just a quick line to say how much I enjoyed the workshop yesterday, with the many variations of O Magnum Mysterium. As always, I was made to feel most welcome, the singing was spine-tingling and Richard’s brief introduction to each piece’s composer was illuminating and helpful. The behind-the-scenes work by your members meant the day ran smoothly so please pass on my appreciation to everyone involved."
"I just want to say a big thank you for a most enjoyable day. I always find the Sinfonia folk very friendly and welcoming as well as being well organised and good cooks ! A good choice of music too, some familiar, some new, all good for the brain !
Chris Saunders ( DBC)
"Great to sing with a different choral director. Richard is very precise and keeps things moving!"
Alison (alto) from Southwell Choral Society
"It’s been fun! Nice doing it with the organ!"
Tenor from Ruddington Choral Society